SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ–In preparation for the upcoming 2008 Greater Middlesex Conference Football Season, GMC Hoops is looking for some volunteers to provide some coverage of their favorite team. The concept is similar to that with the GMC Hoops Volunteers during basketball season. The web site has already put together a tentative schedule of games that it plans to cover this fall, and would like to have others be able to fill some of the void by writing about games involving their favorite school in the blog. If interested, please contact Greg Machos at email@example.com.
Middlesex’s Colacci, St. Joseph’s, East Brunswick, and South Brunswick All Earn GMC Hoops Summer HonorsAugust 28, 2008 on 4:27 pm | In GMC Hoops Awards | Comments Off
SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ–On Thursday, GMC Hoops sat down and determined what players and teams earned the first honors of the 2008-09 season. The web site went through some of its notes and summaries on games, and named Middlesex’s Mike Colacci as GMC Hoops Player of the Week for the Summer of 2008, St. Joseph’s as the GMC Profile for Team of the Week in the Summer of 2008, and South Brunswick and East Brunswick for the Game of the 2008 in the Summer of 2008.
Other candidates considered for Player of the Week were: Nikko Vastola and Gagan Dhaliwal of St. Joseph’s, Jeff Adkins and Thomas Bennett of Piscataway, Tahir Swinton of J.P. Stevens, J.J. D’Amico of Colonia, Matt Fiorino and Matt Sheehy of Bishop Ahr, Dustin Schuld of East Brunswick, Steve Blish of Monroe, Ross Gerhart of Spotswood, Anthony Patterson of Perth Amboy Tech, Joe Marciano of J.F. Kennedy, and Rob Pizzi of Sayreville.
Strong consideration was also given to the following teams for the GMC Profile: Middlesex, J.P. Stevens, Piscataway, Spotswood, and Bishop Ahr. Other games that were considered for GMC Hoops Game of the Week Honors were: Middlesex vs. Scotch Plains at the Kean Ironman Challenge, J.P. Stevens vs. Bishop Ahr in the Championship Game of the 2008 TBSA Summer League, South Brunswick vs. Monroe from the East Brunswick Team Camp, Dunellen vs. Edison and BGA and Edison from the TBSA Summer League, and East Brunswick vs. St. Patrick’s from the Linden Summer League.
TRENTON, NJ–Within the past month, GMC Hoops has received word from Jeff Hewitson of the Prime Time Shootout that a tentative schedule for the 2009 showcase has been put together. Greg Machos and the web site plans to be at the opening night on January 23rd to see the two GMC schools competing in this year’s event: St. Joseph’s and Piscataway. This year’s Prime Time Shootout is scheduled to be played at three different sites: Rutgers Athletic Center, Villanova University, and Sovereign Bank Arena.
Friday, January 23rd, 2009, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J.
- 5:00 PM – Immaculata (NJ) vs. St. Joseph’s (NJ)
- 6:30 PM – Duncanville (TX) vs. LeFlore (Mobile, ALA)
- 8:00 PM - Paterson Catholic (NJ) vs. Lincoln (Brooklyn,NY)
- 9:30 PM – Plainfield (NJ) vs. Piscataway (NJ)
Friday, January 30th, 2009 – Villanova University
- 4:00 PM – Plymouth-Whitemarsh (PA) vs. Holy Ghost Prep (PA)
- 5:30 PM – Lower Merion (PA) vs. Coatesville (PA)
- 7:00 PM – Pennwood (PA) vs. Neumann-Goretti (PA)
- 8:30 PM - Chester (PA) vs. Roman Catholic (PA)
- 10:00 PM – Pennsbury (PA) vs. Norristown (PA)
Saturday, February 14th, 2009, Sovereign Bank Arena –Trenton, N.J.
- 10:30 AM – Our Savior New American (NY) vs. Lawrenceville (NJ)
- 12:00 PM - Timber Creek (NJ) vs. Blair Christian Academy (PA)
- 1:30 PM – Mount Vernon (NY) vs. Union (NJ)
- 3:00 PM – Rice vs. Rancocas Valley (NJ)
- 4:30 PM – Word of God Christian Academy (NC) vs. St. Benedict’s (NJ)
- 6:00 PM – St. Anthony’s (NJ) vs. Hotchkiss School (CT)
- 7:30 PM - Lincoln (Brooklyn, NY) vs. Westchester (CA)
- 9:00 PM - St. Patrick’s (NJ) vs. Oak Hill Academy (VA)
Sunday February 15th, 2009, Sovereign Bank Arena-Trenton, N.J.
- 10:30 AM - Pennington Prep (NJ) vs. Montgomery (NJ)
- 12:00 PM - Elizabeth (NJ) vs. Christ The King (NY)
- 1:30 PM - Trenton Catholic (NJ) vs. ANC (PA)
- 3:00 PM - Oak Hill Academy (VA) vs. Paterson Catholic (NJ)
- 4:30 PM - Montrose Christian (MD) vs. Shabazz (NJ)
- 6:00 PM – Trenton Catholic (Girls - NJ) vs. John F. Kennedy (Girls - NY)
- 7:30 PM - Trenton Central vs. Nichols School (NY)
- 9:00 PM – St. John Vianney (NJ) vs. Bishop Loughlin (NY)
Schedule is subject to change.
NEPTUNE, NJ–On Thursday, GMC Hoops learned courtesy of the Hoop Group web site, that the 2008 Rebounds Fall League is planning to start on Monday, September 15th. Last year, the league got underway a week later. Each team that competes in the league is guaranteed eight games and will receive jerseys for its players. The cost of the league is $650.00. For more information, please contact Joe Stein at either (732)-897-3196, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ–On Thursday, GMC Hoops went to work on putting together at least a preliminary schedule of games that it will try to cover in the upcoming 2008-09 season. However, as in past years, the scheduling saw some problems thanks to a much more limited amount of time to see games. This season, Greg Machos will have to work with an off day schedule that is Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday since he has to work on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Hopefully, we’ll be able to punch in a few more contests.
- 12/19/2008–Cardinal McCarrick @ South Plainfield–Frosh/JV/Varsity Tripleheader
- 12/26/2008–Highland Park in Opening Round of Brearley Tournament
- 12/26/2008–Other Holiday Tournaments
- 12/31/2008–South River and South Amboy in South Amboy Holiday Tournament
- 1/7/2009–Sayreville @ Cardinal McCarrick–Frosh/JV/Varsity Tripleheader
- 1/8/2009–GMC Gold/Blue Doubleheader–Game #1–Dunellen @ E.B. Vo-Tech
- 1/8/2009–GMC Gold/Blue Doubleheader–Game #2–Middlesex @ Spotswood
- 1/9/2009–St. Joseph’s @ South Brunswick
- 1/14/2009–Highland Park @ Metuchen
- 1/15/2009–Cardinal McCarrick @ Colonia–Frosh/JV/Varsity Tripleheader
- 1/16/2009–J.F. Kennedy @ Wardlaw-Hartridge
- 1/21/2009–Woodbridge @ Old Bridge
- 1/22/2009–Bishop Ahr @ Middlesex–JV/Varsity Doubleheader
- 1/23/2009–Immaculata vs. St. Joseph’s–Prime Time Shootout
- 1/23/2009–Plainfield vs. Piscataway–Prime Time Shootout
- 1/28/2009–Bishop Ahr @ Cardinal McCarrick–Frosh/JV/Varsity Tripleheader
- 1/29/2009–South Brunswick @ Piscataway
- 1/30/2009–GMC Gold Doubleheader–Game #1–Ranney @ East Brunswick Tech
- 1/30/2009–GMC Gold Doubleheader–Game #2–Warren Tech @ Perth Amboy Tech
- 2/4/2009–Dunellen @ South Brunswick–JV/Varsity Doubleheader
- 2/5/2009–Bishop Ahr @ Metuchen
- 2/6/2009–Timothy Christian @ South Amboy
- 2/11/2008–St. Joseph’s @ Colonia–Frosh/JV/Varsity Tripleheader
- 2/12/2008–Spotswood @ Monroe
- 2/14-2/27/2008–GMC Tournament
- 2/13/2008–South Amboy @ Keyport
- 2/19/2008–South Amboy @ Bernards
- 2/27/2008–Spotswood @ Perth Amboy Vo-Tech
- 3/2/2008-3/16/2008–NJSIAA Tournaments
The schedule will be updated accordingly as we get closer to the start of the season. A final schedule will be posted on the GMC Hoops Schedule page.
SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ–On Thursday, GMC Hoops went to work on putting together a tentative college hoops schedule for the upcoming 2008-09 season. By no means has this schedule been finalized as many schools have not posted schedules yet. However, here is what Greg Machos has come up with so far. This will change as we get closer to the start of the season.
- 11/19/2008–District of Columbia @ Philadelphia University (Textile), 7:00 PM
- 11/20/2008–Philly Classic–Rhode Island at Monmouth, TBA
- 11/25/2008–John Jay College at Kean University, 8:00 PM
- 12/3/2008–Rutgers vs. Rider–@Sovereign Bank Arena, 7:00 PM
- 12/4/2008–Brookdale Community College at Middlesex County College, 7:00 PM
- 12/10/2008–DeSales University at Centenary College, 7:00 PM
- 12/11/2008–Raritan Valley Coummunity College at Middlesex County College, 7:00 PM
- 12/31/2008–Lehigh vs. NJIT @Prudential Arena, 2:00 PM
- 1/22/2009–Southern Connecticut State @ Felician, 7:00 PM
- 2/4/2009–Richard Stockton at Kean University, 8:00 PM
- 2/26/2009–Semifinals of Region XIX Tournament @ County College of Morris
Last season, the web site initially scheduled 10 games to see on the season. However, it ended up only getting out to seven of them. Hopefully, we’ll do better this time around.
SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ–In preparation for the upcoming 2008-09 Greater Middlesex Conference Boys Basketball Season, GMC Hoops has been surveying the team schedules for an opening night matchup to cover. After some searching, the web site was able to find one. The site will begin its season by covering the defending GMC Tournament Champions, Cardinal McCarrick as the Eagles begin their first season competing in the rugged GMC White Division. On December 19, 2007, Cardy Mac will travel to South Plainfield High School to play the Tigers in the season opener for both schools. In step with recent tradition, the web site will have a Freshmen, JV, and Varsity tripleheader to start off the coverage for the year. The rest of the regular season schedule will appear as we get closer to the start to the 2008-09 campaign.
SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ–On Friday, GMC Hoops went to work on its schedule for the upcoming 2008 GMC High School Football Season. The site has a day open on its three day weekend from work to check out games on Friday nights. Therefore, if you are a South River fan, or have a team that plays their games primarily on Saturday, we are not going to be able to see a lot of you, but will try to work a way around it.
Our football coverage is subject to change, and will commence on opening weekend, September 12th when the site will head over to South Brunswick High School to take in the first game of the season between Woodbridge and South Brunswick. Below are the list of tentatively scheduled contests. GMC Hoops also plans to cover the state playoffs as well.
- September 12, 2008–Woodbridge @ South Brunswick, 7:00 PM
- September 19, 2008–Colonia @ New Brunswick, 7:00 PM
- Septmeber 26, 2008–Piscataway @ Sayreville, 7:00 PM
- October 3, 2008–Bishop Ahr @ Carteret, 7:00 PM
- October 10, 2008–South Plainfield @ New Brunswick
- October 17, 2008–J.P. Stevens @ East Brunswick
- October 24, 2008–South Plainfield @ Carteret
- October 31, 2008–Middlesex @ Highland Park
- November 7, 2008–Monroe @ South Brunswick
- November 14, 2008–NJSIAA State Playoffs–Quarterfinal Round
- November 21, 2008–NJSIAA State Playoffs–Semifinal Round
- November 27, 2008–Thanksgiving Day Round Robin
- December 5-7, 2008–Championship Weekend
Hope to see you on the Gridiron!
Back in January, I had posted footage of my greatest moment as a high school basketball player. Originally, I had stated that my four point game against Spotswood my senior year had occurred on January 15, 1988. Well, it actually occurred on the 14th. I checked the date, and remembering that it was on a Thursday, I found that it was actually on January 14, 1988. Anyway, I pulled out the video again, and got all of the footage from the second half up to a minute or two before I scored. I also believe that there is interview footage on this tape as well including one with the then SPHS head coach, and current Plainfield coach, Jeff Lubreski. But for now, here is the rest of the footage from the famous Spotswood Game.
TRENTON, NJ–On Tuesday, GMC Hoops received word from Prime Time Shootout organizer, Jeff Hewitson, that Plainfield and Piscataway will go at it in the 2009 Prime Time Shootout. The two teams will battle each other on the first night of action tentatively scheduled for January 23, 2009 at the Rutgers Athletic Center in Piscataway. The game will be the nightcap game on that day played at 9:30 PM. Meanwhile, St. Joseph’s will also be in action on that day when they opener things up against Immaculata of Somerville at 5:00 PM. Take a look at the complete schedule.
The game between Piscataway and Plainfield had been talked about for the past few months. Originally proposed by former Plainfield coach, Pete Vasil, the idea got its legs during the Spring. GMC Hoops discussed the proposed idea around the time that Jeff Lubreski took the head coaching job at Plainfield High School on July 15th. Although this is still tentative, it’s nice to see that the game is being set up. It will be really nice for basketball in the Central Jersey area if this game does come to full fruition. The site will try to keep updated on the status of this game, and keep you informed.