SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ—It has been a crazy past couple weeks in the Greater Middlesex Conference. As a result, Carteret has earned its highest ranking in the GMC Hoops Top Ten since last winning the GMCT in 2002. Edison has been in the Top Ten two weeks in a row, and is having its best season since 2000-01. J.P. Stevens is ranked in the Top Ten for the 2nd week in a row after not being in the poll for the past two seasons. Below is the latest GMC Hoops Top Ten as well as some other teams getting consideration.
1. St. Joseph’s (13-3)—Split with Piscataway and is 1st in GMC Red. Hasn’t lost a GMC game since losing to Piscataway on December 19, 2017. Has won 12 of last 14 games including decisive wins over P-Way (82-66) and Old Bridge (68-39).
2. Carteret (14-4)—Split with Bishop Ahr; Won 11 straight games before losing to Mater Dei on Saturday night; Hasn’t lost a GMC game since December 22nd (lost to BGA), and beat ranked or previously ranked teams in Ahr, Colonia, Edison, North Brunswick, Perth Amboy, and Sayreville.
3. Piscataway (13-3)—Split with Joes and Old Bridge, Also Beat Amboy twice, Woodbridge, EB, and Stevens. Second in GMC Red.
4. Old Bridge (11-5)—Split with P-Way and EB. Beat Amboy twice. Third in GMC Red.
5. Bishop Ahr (12-3)—Second in GMC Blue. Split with Carteret. Beat East Brunswick and South Brunswick.
6. East Brunswick (8-8)—Fifth in GMC Red. Defeated Old Bridge. Beat JPS twice. Bears have won 5 of last 8. Also defeated Bridgewater on the road out of conference.
7. Perth Amboy (7-9)—Fourth in GMC Red. Defeated EB twice. Won three straight. Defeated Bayonne,
8. J.P. Stevens (8-8)—Sixth in GMC Red. Defeated Perth Amboy, Edison, and Sayreville. Won 6 of last 10. Six of the Hawks losses are by 8 points or less.
9. Sayreville (12-6)—First in GMC White. Defeated Bishop Ahr. Split with Colonia and Edison. Defeated Woodbridge. Lost 5 of last 7.
10. Edison (10-8)—Second in GMC White. Started season at 2-7 after loss at J.P. Stevens on January 9th. Since then, Eagles have won 8 of last 9 including victories over Colonia, Woodbridge, and Sayreville. Also defeated Hillsborough, Steinert, and Totttenville (S.I.) outside of conference.
Other teams getting consideration:
11. Woodbridge (8-7 and just beat Colonia 47-46) on Saturday to split with Patriots. Lost at Piscataway (81-76) on January 6th. Also 2-3 against non-conference schools with all three losses to Scotch Plains, Bridgewater-Raritan, and Lawrence by single digits. Won 3 of 4.
12. Colonia (8-8 and recently rolled past Sayreville, but lost to Woodbridge on Saturday, and have lost 5 of last 6). Patriots are also 1-4 against non-conference schools with three of those losses (Scotch Plains, Ridge, and Howell) coming by an average of 22 points.
13. Spotswood (9-8)—4th in GMC Blue. Have won 6 of last 10. Defeated Bishop Ahr at home this past week. Also defeated Middlesex on the road and Gold Division leader Timothy Christian. Nice non-conference win over Bound Brook in holiday tournament. Crusaders recently defeated Middlesex.
14. Middlesex (10-6)—3rd in GMC Blue. Lost 4 of last 8. Defeated Piscataway Tech and Dunellen (twice) outside of division. Defeated Metuchen twice (Bulldogs defeated Spotswood twice).
15. Monroe (5-11)—7th in GMC Red. Lost 10 of last 12. Defeated Stevens, Spotswood, and New Brunswick.
16. North Brunswick (6-8)—5th in GMC White. Won 3 of last 4. Defeated Edison (57-46) last week. Lost 5 of its 8 games by single digits. Lost to New Brunswick twice.
17. New Brunswick (4-10)—4th in GMC White. Defeated North Brunswick and J.F. Kennedy twice. Lost to Edison twice.