MONROE, NJ–On Wednesday night, GMC Hoops made a return trip to the Monroe Sports Center Fall League for the first time in several weeks, and was treated to five contests: Two at 7:00 PM, one at 8:00 PM, and two more to round out the night at 9:00 PM. Three GMC teams were in action including J.F. Kennedy, South River, and New Brunswick. Both the Mustangs and Rams won easily while the Zebras lost a close battle with Bordentown of the Burlington County Scholastic League. Below are the results from all five games with capsules.
2012 Monroe Sports Center Fall League–Some Results–Week Seven–October 24th
- JFK 43–West Windsor-Plainsboro North 26. JFK led 24-10 at half. Mike Weinstein ran the floor very well, and scored the last four points of the half. In the second half, Kyle Alvarez opened things up with a jumper before WWPN rallied with eight of the next 10 points to pull within 28-18. However, Alvarez added another jumper, sophomore Joe Duffy added a three point play and Weinstein added a bucket down low to cap a 9-2 run for a 37-20 lead. Alvarez then added another jumper, and two free throws before Duffy closed out the Mustang scoring with a score down low.
- South River over Red Bank Catholic–The Rams jumped out to an 18-16 lead at the 13:25 mark of the first half. South River then went on a 7-0 run for a 25-16 edge with less than ten minutes to go in the first half. The Rams coasted a bit though with some lapses on defense and not boxing out. RBC took advantage with a little run before Tim Darrar and Tyler Harris got buckets to help the Rams take a 33-24 lead at the intermission. South River started out strong in the second half thanks to some nice shooting by Harris and a dunk by William Simmons for a 47-33 lead. The Rams coasted from there to the win.
- Bordentown 63–New Brunswick 58–The Scotties from Burlington County jumped out to a 4-0 lead before NBHS called for time and responded out of the stoppage with a 9-0 spurt to take a 9-4 advantage. The Zebras increased their lead to 23-14 with a 14-10 run before Bordentown responded with an 11-4 tear to pull within two at the intermission. The Scottie’s continued their fine run in the second half with a 20-11 surge for a 47-38 lead. NBHS rallied though with a couple threes and then a three point play by Nadir Whitney as well as a couple transition baskets by Paul McKenzie to put together an 18-9 tear for a 58-56 lead with under two minutes to go. However, Bordentown got a three with 1:20 left and a layup for a 63-58 win.
- Franklin 48–Rumson 46–RFH led 24-17 at the half. FHS outscored RFH by a margin of 30-18 in second half for a 47-42 lead with 25 seconds left, but RFH forced FHS to go to the line where the Warriors struggled. The Bulldogs took advantage with a 4-1 run and got the ball back with 6 seconds left, but after calling timeout they were unable to score as Fhs won, 48-46.
- Marlboro 47–Princeton 36–Mustangs led 25-22 at the half, and then began the second half with a 16-4 run for a 41-26 lead with 9:39 left. Marlboro went on to win from there 47-36.
GMC Hoops plans to be back out at Monroe next week for more action at MSC.
NEPTUNE, NJ–We are hitting the home stretch of the 2012 Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League, and there have been some very good games especially this past Monday night. There are 24 teams in this year’s fall league including four from the Greater Middlesex Conference. Majority of teams are from the Shore Conference. Below is a list of all 24 teams in the league. GMC teams are in bold.
2012 Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League–Teams
- Wall Township
- St. Rose
- Cardinal McCarrick
- Perth Amboy
- Colts Neck
- Toms River East
- Old Bridge
- Brick Memorial
- Point Pleasant Boro
- Long Branch
- Red Bank Regional
- Shore Regional
- Central Regional
- Jackson Memorial
- Ocean Township
- St. John Vianney
- Toms River North
- Middletown South
GMC Hoops will be back out at the Hoop Group Headquarters next Monday night for more action.
Here are video highlights from the contest between Perth Amboy and Toms River East in the 2012 Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League in Neptune. Toms River East had overcome a 19-13 halftime deficit with a 24-15 surge in the second half for a 37-34 lead, but Amboy’s Marquise Irizarry connected on a three pointer from the left wing in the final minute to tie the game, and then David Rogers connected on a jumper from the left baseline with one second left to give the Panthers a hard fought 39-37 victory.
Here are video highlights from a rare contest between two GMC teams at the 2012 Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League in Neptune. After both teams struggled to score points in a deadlocked first half (10-10), Old Bridge outscored McCarrick by the score 30-19 in the second half for the 40-29 victory. Sultan Aminu, Jordan Marerro, and Kola Adeleye led the way for the winners while Sky Harris played well for McCarrick.
Here are video highlights from the second half and overtime of a well played game between two teams from the Shore Conference, Colts Neck and Manasquan at the 2012 Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League. The Warriors won the game in overtime on a three pointer from the right wing at the buzzer, 50-48. Manasquan opened the scoring in the extra session with a three from the top of the key before the Cougars responded with two scores for a one point lead late.
NEPTUNE, NJ–On Monday night, GMC Hoops traveled down to the Hoop Group Headquarters after work to take in action from the sixth week of the 2012 HGHQ Fall League there. All four teams from the GMC were in action. Below are some of the results from the games played.
2012 Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League–Week Six–October 22nd–Some Results
- Old Bridge 40–Cardinal McCarrick 29
- Perth Amboy 39–Toms River East 37–Marquise Irizarry ties game with three and David Rogers won it on a baseline jumper from the left side with one second left.
- Manasquan 50–Colts Neck 48 OT on three from right wing at buzzer
- Shore Regional 61–Long Branch 58
- Brick Memorial 72–Central Regional 57
- CBA 48–Lakewood 42
GMC Hoops has notes from some of the action, and also plans to have pictures and video from the three games it covered. We’ll be back out at the Hoop Group Headquarters next Monday night.
Here is a montage of video highlights from four games involving teams from the Greater Middlesex Conference in the 2012 Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League. The GMC had a tough night with three of the four teams losing. Only Perth Amboy got a win as it defeated St. John Vianney by the score of 53-43. Cardinal McCarrick lost to Long Branch in the final minutes of play by the score of 38-35. Old Bridge did the same against Manasquan, 35-32 while Sayreville fell to Point Pleasant Boro by the score of 54-44. Players that stood out for these squads were David Rogers for Perth Amboy, Corey Taite for Sayreville, Sultan Aminu for Old Bridge, and Sky Harris for McCarrick.
NEPTUNE, NJ–In another 9:00 PM game from the fifth week of action at the 2012 Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League, the Old Bridge Knights took on Manasquan. In a tightly played contest, Old Bridge rallied from a 23-16 with a 14-2 tear over a span of about 13 minutes to take a 30-25 lead only to have the Warriors rally back with a 10-2 run to end the game for the 35-32 victory. Below are some notes from the action.
Manasquan jumped out to a 5-0 lead.
1:04–OB–making headway–down now 15-14.
30.0–MAN–fouled–makes 1 of 2 FTs for a 16-14 lead.
0.0–MAN–swipes steal, but layup attempt at the buzzer goes off back rim.
19:12–OB–gets basket for a 16-16 tie.
18:57–MAN–layup for an 18-16 lead.
18:02–MAN–basket for a 20-16 lead.
17:00–MAN–three pointer from right wing for a 23-16 lead.
16:04–OB–Justin Simboli–three pointer from right side to end 7-0 run MAN run for a 23-19 MAN lead.
15:20–OB–Sultan Aminu scores basket for a 23-21 MAN lead.
7:37–return from watching another game 25-23 MAN lead.
3:00–OB–now leads 30-25 after a 7-0 run.
2:45–MAN–three pointer for a 30-28 OB lead
2:15–MAN–bucket ties score at 30-30.
1:30–MAN–three pointer for a 33-30 lead.
1:00–OB–Aminu gets loose ball, and goes the length of the court for a layup and a 33-32 MAN lead.
27.5–MAN–fouled–now in bonus–misses front end of one and one.
17.0–OB–Aminu–called for traveling.
2.8–OB–timeout after MAN gets fouled and makes both ends of bonus for a 35-32 lead.
0.0–MAN–steals ball in OB backcourt, and runs out the clock for a 35-32 win.
GMC Hoops plans to be back out at the Hoop Group Headquarters on Monday night for more action.
GMC Hoops Game Notes–Cardinal McCarrick vs. Long Branch–Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League–October 15, 2012October 17, 2012 on 10:41 pm | In Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League, Cardinal McCarrick Hoops | Comments Off
NEPTUNE, NJ–In one of the 9:00 PM games on Monday night at the 2012 Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League, Cardinal McCarrick took on Long Branch. Once again the Eagles played well enough to win, and actually had the lead for a good part of the game, but Long Branch was able to rally from behind for the 38-35 victory. Below are some notes from the contest.
12:00–CM leads 8-7.
10:04–LB–calls timeout after baseline jumper from right side by Sky Harris for a 12-11 CM lead.
9:30–LB–three pointer for a 14-12 lead
8:04–CM–Tavian Chukwuani scores on putback for a 14-14 tie.
5:14–CM–takes lead on steal for layup and a 16-14 lead.
4:45–CM–Aaron Lewis nets three pointer from right side for a 19-14 lead.
3:02–LB–basket for a 19-16 CM lead.
1:15–CM–Jacquan Madden scores on putback for a 21-16 lead.
10.0–CM–Harris drives baseline from right side for layin and a 23-16 lead.
0.0–CM–after stopping LB at other end, Eagles last second heave is too long. Still lead 23-16 at half.
18:04–CM–gets ball–LB scored earlier for a 23-18 CM lead.
7:30–CM maintaining five point lead at 35-30.
3:00–CM leads 35-33.
1:15–LB gets a three point play for a 36-35 lead.
35.3–CM–Harris fouled–misses both FTs.
17.0–LB–fouled–makes both FTs for a 38-35 lead.
0.0–CM unable to score as LB wins 38-35.
GMC Hoops Game Notes–Perth Amboy vs. St. John Vianney–Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League–October 15, 2012–2nd HalfOctober 16, 2012 on 7:02 am | In Hoop Group Headquarters Fall League, Perth Amboy Hoops | Comments Off
NEPTUNE, NJ–While Sayreville was playing Point Pleasant Boro at 8:00 PM, Perth Amboy was taking on St. John Vianney in another game. The Panthers were up by 12 with just over 12 and a half minutes remaining, and eventually led by as many as fifteen before winning the contest 53-43 over the Lancers. Amboy was the only GMC team to win on Monday night at HGHQ. Below are notes from the second half of action.
12:36–arrive–PA leads 39-27.
11:45–PA–three pointer for a 42-27 lead.
11:01–SJV–fouled–makes both FTs for a 42-29 PA lead.
10:50–PA–layup from left low block for a 44-29 lead.
9:35–SJV–timeout–PA leads 44-29.
6:36–SJV–5-0 run including a three from left side for a 44-34 lead.
4:58–PA leads 46-36 after both teams exchange scores.
2:01–PA leads 48-38.
1:54–PA–layup for a 50-38 lead.
1:30–SJV–scores a basket on a latin for a 50-40 PA lead.
1:06–PA leads after a basket by David Rogers to go up by the score of 52-40.
50.0–PA–draws foul, and makes 1 of 2 FTs from the line for a 53-40 lead.
35.0–SJV–knocks in a three pointer from the left wing for a PA 53-43 lead.
PA wins 53-43.